Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Delayed... not Defeated

So… marathon training:  It’s not happening. I haven’t felt very encouraged to blog about my progress because I’ve been going backwards. Not only do I have the excuses used by everyone that,  “I don’t have enough time”, “I’m too busy”, I also have a stubborn left knee that refuses to get on board with my 2012 Goals list. I want to run sooo badly but my legs aren’t cooperating. I’m sure that this is my body’s way of making a point, which I can’t ignore, that it’s tired from completing all of my other goals this year.

I’m officially “downgraded” to running the SB half marathon in a few weeks instead of the full. Downgraded you say? I know. I realize I’m talking crazy for most of you reading this. I should be stoked that I’m not even phased by running 13 miles, and do admit it’s a little ridiculous to be super bummed out that I’m only running 13 miles instead of the 26 I was hoping for.

Don’t worry… already signed up for the LA Marathon in March. Delayed… not defeated. Goal for 2012 2013: run a marathon. Among other things…. ;)

In the meantime I will be besties with Ibuprofen, a foam roller, ice, a PT (Geoff I’m counting on you!), and my knee brace. Oh, how I LOVE my knee brace. I can run a slow painful 4 to 5 miles with it on, versus not wearing and having much limping and crying involved after only running 1 mile. It’s pa-thet-ic.  I suppose that now is as good of time as ever to focus on my swimming “skills” if I’m attempting to complete an IronMan in the near future. (Wait, what?)

Also, in unrelated news I’m MOVING! (Finally, right?!) Just to a different part of the city, but I’m so excited for a change… AND a roomie AND awesome neighbors ;). I broke the news to my sweet, generous grandparents last night… I told them I had very exciting news for them to which my grandpa immediately replied “you’re finally getting married??” God bless him. “Mmmm… no…. grandpa, I’m not. I’m just moving out 3 years after I told you that this was only a temporary living situation, & thought you’d be excited about it.” Delayed… not defeated.

This will also delay my plan to get a “better” bike with aero bars. Less than 1 year & I already want an upgrade!! It’s unfortunate that I can’t bring my current bike in & just exchange it for a different one. J

So with many things athletic and personal, I will accept *temporary* delays and not be or feel defeated. Oh, United Airlines would be SO proud of me for saying that (which is a WHOLE other story which I can tell you if you’re having a bad day… it’ll make you feel a lot better). I think I’m beginning to understand & respect the mantra that I’ve heard a few of you use: 

Relentless. Forward. Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment