Monday, August 19, 2013

One-Year Anniversary

This Saturday marks my one-year anniversary with Triathlon. We’re getting pretty serious.I think I'll celebrate with the 1 year traditional gift: an almond croissant. Ok the traditional gift is actually paper, but I have to pay for it with paper, and I get a paper receipt. So... there you have it. Croissant it is. 

Most of what I say about my relationship to the sport parallels to actual relationships between people. It feels more like forever versus just one year, it's both rewarding and challenging at times, I've invested a lot of time and emotion (& weight gains/losses. Mostly gains.), and most importantly there has been a lot of personal growth.  When I look back, I only think of the good times we've had together and am hopeful that there will be more to come in the future.

It’s mind-bottling (“Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?). I've been incredibly reflective this past week mostly due to my 10-year high school reunion combined with looking back on this past year. I didn't think I’d report back to classmates years later that I’m now a triathlete who loves Excel spreadsheets, yoga and vegetable juices. I still feel 12. I’m not sure how this happened. When I thought about my future reunion while still in high school, I pictured myself saying something more along the lines of “This is my husband and two children. We live in a mansion and, for fun, we like to sip martinis and talk about mortgage rates and politics.” Right.

Even looking back at one year alone I realize how much can happen in such a short period of time! I don’t even quite remember how I fell into the triathlon rabbit hole to begin with. I’m fairly sure that, besides myself, I can blame most of it on 2 people: Kate Heckman and Michael Simpson. Your teamwork of luring me in (Kate) paired with the wealth of information (Mike) has got me so involved now that I can’t possibly get out anytime soon. And I thank you both SO MUCH for that. I could be alone or part of the majority in feeling this, but it has really been life-changing. Of course I’m in better shape, healthier overall and have become more disciplined, but it has also given me so many new friends, a COUNTLESS number of people to look up to, and a sense of belonging not only in the club… but in the city, the sport… everything.

I remember exactly this time last year when I was preparing for my first ever triathlon: the Santa Barbara Triathlon long course. (*Side note: I don’t recommend starting with this course… haha. Normal people usually start with a SPRINT!) Needless to say, the race dominated me instead of the other way around but I still loved it all the same. I remember constantly telling anyone who would listen that I was going to be in a triathlon and would launch into all the race logistics that no one cared about. It completely consumed me! And now… one year later… I’m more like “oh yeah, I have a race this weekend. NBD”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very excited about it and can’t wait to compare data from last year since this will be my first repeat race. It’s just that after doing my first half Ironman it doesn't seem like the biggest deal ever. Just as next year a half Ironman won’t seem as significant because I’ll be focusing on my first FULL Ironman. (IMAZ 2014! Well, hopefully. I don’t sign up until mid November.)

Anyways, as crazy as my plan is, it IS a natural progression regardless of how insane or ready I am to take it on. It makes sense to keep moving forward with something when you have a good thing going. I’m going to feel burned out from time to time a lot but can look to & get advice from people who've put in the "hard time" and are where I would like to be. And in turn, it’s such an awesome feeling to know I can be that person for someone else. (That doesn't happen a lot… I still get beat by 10 year olds). But STILL!

This has been a really amazing year. I’m continually surprised and humbled by life and wouldn't have it any other way. And I’m SO excited to race the long course again this weekend with so many friends and see how much I've progressed… but also still become humbled by hearing “on your left!”. Or who knows… maybe not! Crazier things have happened ;)


Here’s to another amazing year!!! 

1 comment:

  1. You are such a stud. I am so proud of you. I'm also reading this while eating an entire cake.

    ReplyDelete