Monday, March 18, 2013

26.2 Race Report

I’m so excited to write this race report! I haven’t been able to do this since last September.

Yesterday felt (& still feels) very surreal. It’s nice to be able to surprise even myself sometimes with how much I think I can do or handle. Part of me didn’t believe I’d ever be a marathon runner, and there were definitely a few times during the race where I didn’t think so either. But here I am!! A marathon runner after all!

No I did not qualify for Boston… which is reeeeally unfortunate, because now I HAVE to run at least 1 more. I can’t let it go!!!  I’m in too deep!!! I’m sure most of you saw that one coming. J
Sooooo as you know, I couldn’t run in the SB Marathon (or even 1 mile) last November because of tendinitis in my left knee. After almost 3 months of physical therapy & being under the expert guidance of a coach, my knee is fine and I was able to run my first full marathon without (ab)normal pain! 4:38 isn’t exactly a record-setting finish, but it’s a TIME. I had to walk a few times & knew by mile 16 that Boston was out of the picture, which actually was a blessing because I started to allow myself to enjoy the run. I mean, as much as one can enjoy themselves at mile 16 of 26.2.

Not qualifying, but knowing I was for sure going to finish the race, took some pressure & expectations off my mind & allowed me to be very thankful I was running and accomplishing a huge goal of mine. I was able to appreciate the chilly weather, felt fortunate to be on the same journey as 24,000 other runners, and to have amazing friends & family there for support. I only ran with my iPod from mile 10-20… which is less than half, so give me a little leeway on that one. A little more leeway for listening to Dropkick Murphys?? J
It was not all roses & rainbows though, it was hard as hell and I wanted to drop out a few times, even FELL at mile 19! A lot of spectators were handing out bananas, orange slices, pretzels, etc. which is totally awesome (orange slices are the MOST delicious treat during a race btw!), but with thousands of people eating them the peels were everywhere. I wasn’t paying attention & slipped on an orange peel & went down… directly on my left kneecap. I popped up fast in hopes that not too many people saw & because I wanted to assess the damage. No blood… no reason to stop. My kneecap is a lot of different colors now!

The thousands of spectators, live bands, tranny WeHo cheerleaders, ACTUAL cheerleaders, running the last 10k with Alex & seeing my mom at the finish line definitely kept my spirits up & carried me all the way through. Also I can’t forget to mention the ever-amusing race posters like “May the course be with you”, “If this was easy, it’d be your mom”, or “Chuck Norris never ran a marathon”. There were a few times where I “almost cried”, meaning I had the scrunchy face + had to give myself a little pep talk to keep it together before any tears leaked out, but otherwise was loving trying to love as much of the experience as I could! Emotions are a bit harder to control when your body is toasted.

[ROLLING CREDITS]

-Thank you mom for being at ALL of my races! I’m so proud that you know how to upload all the photos now too.
-Thank you B… my sherpa boo. Even though you probably consider me crazy for signing up for race after race, thank you for always supporting me anyways J
-Thank you Mike for being an awesome coach and inspiration, & for being able to fix me if/when your workouts break me. I want to be on your level someday! And thank you to Ryan Y. (PT) & all of Elite Rehab for getting me back out on the course quickly so I can continue doing what I love

-Thank you Rynell, Jen & Toby for being awesome friends & training partners!
-Thank you Alex for running with me! Talking about competing in an IronMan made the marathon not seem so bad haha. That, & the last 5k just talking about what we wanted most…
              Alex:  “I want a pizza & beer” 
              Me:  “I just want to stop running”
-A huge thank you to anyone who’s had to hear me talk about my marathon training, to my supportive family, friends, tri-clubbers and co-workers. And thank you to my legs… even though I’m going to be hearing a lot about it from you the next few days.

YOU.GUYS. I ran a MARATHON. I actually did it. I can’t even believe that yesterday I ran 26.2 miles and today I can barely walk to my kitchen. (Why is it sooooo far away!?!??!) Also anything I’ve accidentally dropped on/near the ground is going to stay right where it is unless someone gets me a wheelchair or one of those arm grabby things. I will be doing the AARP shuffle for a few days, but I’m SO HAPPY I DID IT!!! It’s definitely a huge experience and accomplishment, and I’m over the moon that I can join this elite group of people that call themselves MARATHON RUNNERS.

PS - In case you were wondering… I had green beer, a grilled cheese sandwich and french fries(!!) as my celebratory meal J. It was the best meal I’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment